You can order it now…

After much much waiting, Apple’s game changing iPad is now available to pre-order in the Apple store in the UK. Though it won’t be delivered until the 28th of May.

If you are thinking of getting an iPad, then you might want to consider pre-ordering rather than waiting for a while or waiting until the 28th, especially if you want to get one pretty much on or just after the release date.

As you might expect the iPad is currently the number one selling item in the Apple Store in the UK. If the same thing that happened in the US happens here then you may find it will have “sold out” and you will need to wait. I suspect that will certainly be the case with certain models.

So what about which model to buy?

This is quite a complex question, you need to consider how and where you will be using the iPad. If using just at home and in the office then the WiFi version will probably suffice. If you travel a lot, on the train, at conferences and events then the WiFi + 3G model may be a better bet. If you are going to be using more than just the iPad out and about, say take your laptop with you too, then you might want to consider a MiFi and just get the WiFi iPad.

One of the reasons for getting the 3G model is that it comes with GPS whereas the WiFi model doesn’t. If you are keen on using location services on your iPad, then the GPS is a must. This is probably less of an issue for myself as I do have the iPhone 3GS so that has the GPS capability that I might need. That is probably a key factor on which model is if you have an iPhone or not.

So what about size? 16GB, 32GB or 64GB?

I initially did consider getting a 16GB model as that should be enough for most activities, or so I thought. One thing that is coming out from the US is that iPad Apps are much bigger than most iPhone Apps and it is expected that they might get “bigger”. You can also watch HD movies on the iPad making use of the bigger screen and they are bigger than your average iPhone movie file. So the next consideration is 32Gb, but my first approach with any storage is think about what I might need and then double it. So 64Gb is probably the idea size for me.

I am pleased to see that the iBooks App and Bookstore will be available in the UK on the 28th and looking forward to reading a book on the iPad.

Will the iPad be the game changing device that I think it will be?

No one knows for sure, but it will have an impact regardless.

2 thoughts on “You can order it now…”

  1. Very similar thinking – initially planning to get the cheapest option and plan to flog it/pass it on to family and get version 2 next year (which I expect to have the camera, OLED screen etc which I had expected v1 to have).

    However, having briefly played with one, I think it’s ‘good enough’ to see me past v2 and wait for v3 instead, so have decided to pick a model on that basis – which brings me to 3G.

    Initially, I’d envisaged rarely using it anywhere I wouldn’t have wifi (home/work/friends/etc) – but in 2 years, the likelyhood of occations where that won’t be the case increased drastically – plus when I decided to get the camera connection kit, I started envisonaging using it to upload holiday photos to the cloud as well as sharing a days snaps with friends/family each day – and most holiday locations wouldn’t have wifi.

    I was also swayed by the Apple store seeming to indicate that once registered at home, it should be possible to activate 3G in the field on demand and it looks like on a monthly charge basis. This would fit my pattern of expected need.

    The last thing to consider for me was weight. The quick play I had with the wifi only version left me thinking it was already a bit too heavy and adding the weight of 3G and GPS seeme an issue – then I thought, if it’s already a bit too heavy to hold for long periods, i’d have to adopt a suitable use pattern anyhow (putting it flat/using the case stand or doc etc) so a little extra weight while carrying it would be negligable.

    Cost is of course also an issue, but as I’d initially budgeted for the thing to have more of a $ => £ Apple tax than it has, that wasn’t insurmountable.

    We’ll see if I regret my choice in 6 months I guess when the Apple rumours of v2 really start 🙂

Leave a Reply